When It’s Time To Replace the Air Conditioner
As summer settles in, homeowners will depend more on their home air conditioning. It is essential to ensure that it is working properly before the full force of summer heat arrives. The physical problems people can experience from overexposure to high temperatures are unpleasant and can cause permanent damage. If homeowners see any signs discussed in the next few paragraphs, they should call an HVAC professional immediately because they may need air conditioner replacement.
There are Foul Odors and/or Unusual Noises
If a resident has noticed odors coming from the vents in their home or has been startled or surprised by sounds they have not heard before from the cooling system, this can indicate a significant problem. HVAC technicians may encounter some things in an investigation, including smells and sounds.
- Musty Odor: A musty smell can indicate a need to change the HVAC system’s filters, but it can also mean mold and mildew are growing in the air ducts. This might just need cleaning but can indicate a cooling problem if excess moisture is not removed.
- Burning Odor: A burning or burnt plastic smell can indicate a severe electrical problem. The unit should be turned off and inspected by a professional.
- Decay: If the smell of decay has crept into the ducts, some unwanted guests may hang around in the home’s attic or wall space. Animals like mice, squirrels, raccoons, and opossums tend to like hidey holes.
- Scratching: Scratching in the vents can also indicate pests or duct blockage.
- Popping or Banging: If the unit housing tends to pop or bang loudly when the unit turns on, there may be a problem with the heat exchanger.
- Hissing: A hissing or whistling sound can indicate a coolant leak or a damaged duct.
Energy Bills Have Gone Up Significantly
As any AC unit ages, it will become less energy efficient. This is true of all appliances and is why age is a major factor when considering air conditioning replacement. If the utility bill for a home has increased significantly since the previous summer, then the unit may have energy efficiency issues. It may be having to work much harder to produce the same amount of cooling for the residence. If the unit has been in place for more than 10 years, it may need replacement because:
- Individual replacement parts will be too expensive or difficult to find
- It may need too many different parts replaced
- Certain aspects of the unit may be less compatible with more modern design improvements
Airflow is Weak or Not as Cool as it Should Be
Airflow is key to a properly functioning air conditioner. Even with the best heat exchanger or condenser, if the blower is not working or the air ducts are blocked, there is no way for the home to stay cool. If a home HVAC unit barely moves the air, then there is a problem. If the air isn’t cold, this is another issue, too. Both of these can cause large utility bills without the result of a cooler home. HVAC repair and replacement is not a DIY project. Invest in help from the pros.
About 360 Air Tech
Offering free estimates and maintenance membership plans in Williamsburg, VA, and beyond, 360 Air Tech is the HVAC contractor to call for excellent customer service and 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Call today for AC service with upfront pricing.